Search This Blog

Sunday 2 December 2012

Lemon and Coconut Chickpea Macaroons

Tom today,

Ever since going to the christmas markets (if you haven't been yet and are in manchester, GO, albert square, now) and smelling all of the wonderful things that I couldn't eat, I've had a massive craving for coconut macaroons. The smell of them cooking was enough to make my stomach tap it's watch disapprovingly to remind me it was dinner time. So, after a hard day's revision I decided that I would throw something together that vaguely resembled them, put it on the internet, then sit back and bask in the glory of my own genius. Here's what happened.

Ingredients:



1 can Chickpeas (drained and thoroughly washed)
1/2 cup Dessicated Coconut
3 tbsp Coconut Milk (I used creamed coconut in hot water)
1 tsp Baking Powder
6 tbsp Rolled Oats (This came out as roughly 75g when I measured it afterwards)
Pinch of Salt (I always use Maldon - you caught me, I'm a salt snob.)
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
Juice and Zest of 1/2 a Lemon

This is another complete make-it-up-as-I-go-along recipe, but my last one went pretty well so I'm hopeful. I used this recipe to make 16 smallish cookies. These worked out to only 77 calories each, which was definitely my favourite bit!

Method:

Preheat an oven to 200 degrees celsius.
Blend the chickpeas in a mixing bowl.
Add all the dry ingredients (coconut, oats, baking powder, salt and sugar) and mix together thoroughly.
Add the vanilla bean paste, lemon (zest and juice) fold through.
Add the coconut milk, stirring gently until the mixture is the right consistency (if you don't need all the milk don't add it, and if it's a bit thick or dry then add a dash of water and mix in.
Spoon cookie-sized balls onto a lightly greased baking tray.
Cook for 15 minutes on the top shelf.
Then, just as they start to brown around the edges, squash them flat with a spoon (I was hoping they would spread like cookies but apparently I was too optimistic here)
Cook for a further 10 minutes until golden.

I am super happy with how these turned out! Only 77 calories apiece. And the smell filling the kitchen is definitely christmas-market-ey enough to satisfy my stomach. I'm starting to get into this style of cooking, however pretty soon I think I'm going to have to bake something hideous and fat filled to balance this out.

(Jess: Tom gave me one of these the day after making them and they were delicious - please try this recipe!)

As always, email any comments or photos you have to me and Jess at twocooksoneblog@gmail.com - we love to hear from you!

Enjoy





A close-up slightly-out-of-focus picture of food on a food blog!? Genius.

Nuritional Info (if made into 16)



                      Calories   Carbs     Fat     Protein     Sodium     Sugar
          Total:     1236        182       45         29             67          113
Per Serving:        77           11        3          2               4            7


No comments:

Post a Comment