Search This Blog

Saturday 8 December 2012

Gluten Free Chocolate Baileys Cake

That's right guys, the highly anticipated full fat chocolate cake post.

I made this to go with my flat christmas dinner. Nobody likes christmas cake, or christmas pudding. Or stollen. Or cheeseboards. Or anything other than chocolate cake, right? I have been waiting for an excuse to make a chocolate cake for ages, because I really can't justify making one for myself, so I figured christmas dinner was the perfect time. I jumped at the chance to make dessert and forced chocolate cake on my flatmates once we'd all already eaten a disgusting amount of food and drank our body weight's in wine. This cake is quite light, and stays fresh for a good few days afterwards. The original recipe contained a teaspoon of xantham gum, but I didn't have any. It would probably improve the texture but it can be made without. Don't ask me for nutritional information, I refuse to acknowledge the fat, sugar or calories in this. It will make me cry. But it's good, and calories don't count in December, so just don't think about it.


200g gluten free flour
2tsp baking powder
200g demerara sugar
175g unsalted butter
4 eggs, beaten
50g cocoa powder
75g ground almonds
1-2tsp vanilla extract
200ml milk
50ml Baileys

For the topping
Some butter
Some icing sugar
Some dark chocolate
Some baileys
Some milk

Heat oven to 180C and grease a cake tin (I used a 20cm one). Sieve the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into one bowl. In another, cream together the butter and sugar (I used an electric hand whisk). Beat the eggs, and gradually add the eggs and vanilla to the butter and sugar mixture. Alternating between a tablespoon of each, fold the flour mixture and milk into the mixture, until you have a smooth mixture. Add the Baileys. Then fold in the ground almonds. By this point, you should have a smooth, chocolately mixture that falls off the spoon. Spoon this into the cake tin, and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes. It may take longer, the original recipe said 50 minutes but mine was definitely ready in 40 so check then and judge by what yours looks like.




Baileys buttercream

Melt about 50g butter with 100g dark (at least 70% cocoa solids) chocolate in a saucepan. Keep the heat low, you don't want it to burn. Add some icing sugar, add some milk, add some Baileys, add some more icing sugar, add some more Baileys....keep going until you have buttercream. I didn't measure quantities, I was drinking wine at the time, sorry. But it doesn't have to be precise. Just keep adding and tasting until it seems right. Once the cake has cooled, pour the buttercream over the cake and leave to set. And there you have it, gluten free chocolate baileys cake. Beautiful.



Look how pretty it looks with cherries on top...
And yeah, I smudged the icing when I put more on top because I'm greedy.




PS - I apologise for the imprecise nature of some of these recipes. Wine takes over...

No comments:

Post a Comment